Re: fstrim issue in VM for cloned rbd image with fast-diff feature

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Youzhong Yang <youzhong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Jason.
>
> Yes, my concern is that fstrim increases clones' disk usage. The VM didn't
> use any additional space but fstrim caused its disk usage (in ceph) to go up
> significantly. Imagine when there are hundreds of VMs, it would soon cause
> space issue.
>
> If this is expected behavior, does it mean it's better to disable fast-diff
> from rbd image? I am fine with that.

Since fast-diff can only provide an estimate, that is the current
expected behavior for cases like this. It might be nice to add an
optional to "rbd disk-usage" to disable fast-diff computation and
perform the might painful per-object space calculation if desired.

--
Jason