Re: What is the meaning of size and min_size for erasure-coded pools?

It's a very bad idea to accept data if you can't guarantee that it will be stored in way that tolerates a disk outage
without data loss. Just don't.

Increase the number of coding chunks to 3 if you want to withstand two  simultaneous disk
failures without impacting availability.

Paul

Paul, many thanks for your reply.
Thinking about it, I can't decide if I'd prefer to operate the storage
server without redundancy, or have it automatically force a downtime,
subjecting me to a rage of my users and my boss.
But I think that the typical expectation is that system serves the
data while it is able to do so. Since ceph by default does otherwise,
may I suggest that this is explained in the docs? As things are now, I
needed a trial-and-error approach to figure out why ceph was not
working in a setup that I think was hardly exotic, and in fact
resembled an ordinary RAID 6.

Which leaves us with a mishmash of PG states. Is it normal? If not,
would I have avoided it if I created the pool with min_size=k=3 from
the start? In other words, does min_size influence the assignment of
PGs to OSDs? Or is it only used to force I/O shutdown in the event of
OSDs failures?

Thank you very much

Maciej Puzio