Shutting down: why OSDs first?

There is a lot of advice around on shutting down a Ceph cluster that says
to shut down the OSDs before the monitors and bring up the monitors before
the OSDs, but no one explains why.

I would have thought it would be better to shut down the monitors first and
bring them up last, so they don't have to witness all the interim states with
OSDs down.  And it should make the noout, nodown, etc. settings unnecessary.

So what am I missing?

Also, how much difference does it really make?  Ceph is obviously designed to
tolerate any sequence of failures and recoveries of nodes, so how much risk
would I be taking if I just haphazardly killed everything instead of
orchestrating a shutdown?

--
Bryan Henderson                                   San Jose, California