Re: Please help me get rid of Slow / blocked requests

>Sounds like one of the following could be happening:
> 1) RBD write caching doing the 37K IOPS, which will need to flush at some point which causes the drop.

I am not sure this will help Shantur. But you could try running  'watch cat /proc/meminfo' during a benchmark run.
You might be able to spot caches being flushed.
iostat is probably a better tool

On 1 May 2018 at 13:13, Van Leeuwen, Robert <rovanleeuwen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5/1/18, 12:02 PM, "ceph-users on behalf of Shantur Rathore" <ceph-users-bounces@lists.ceph.com on behalf of shantur.rathore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    I am not sure if the benchmark is overloading the cluster as 3 out of
>   5 runs the benchmark goes around 37K IOPS and suddenly for the
>    problematic runs it drops to 0 IOPS for a couple of minutes and then
>   resumes. This is a test cluster so nothing else is running off it.

Sounds like one of the following could be happening:
1) RBD write caching doing the 37K IOPS, which will need to flush at some point which causes the drop.

2) Hardware performance drops over time.
You could be hitting hardware write cache on RAID or disk controllers.
Especially SSDs can have a performance drop after writing to them for a while due to either SSD housekeeping or caches filling up.
So always run benchmarks over longer periods to make sure you get the actual sustainable performance of your cluster.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen