The mystery of sync modules

Hi,

Mimic has a new feature, a cloud sync module for radosgw to sync objects to some other S3-compatible destination.

This would be a lovely thing to have here, and ties in nicely with object versioning and DR.  But I am put off by confusion and complexity with the whole multisite/realm/zone group/zone thing, and the docs aren't very forgiving, including a recommendation to delete all your data!

Is there a straightforward way to set up the additional zone for a sync module with a preexisting bucket?  Whether it's the elasticsearch metadata search or the cloud replication, setting up sync modules on your *current* buckets must be a FAQ or at least frequently desired option.

Do I need a top-level realm?  I'm not actually using multisite for two clusters, I just want to use sync modules.  If I do, how do I transition my current default realm and RGW buckets?

Any blog posts to recommend?

It's not a huge cluster, but it does include production data.

Thanks,

Sean