Re: Cluster degraded after Ceph Upgrade 12.2.1 => 12.2.2

the difference in cost between 2 and 3 servers are not HUGE. but the reliability  difference between a size 2/1 pool and a 3/2 pool is massive. a 2/1 pool is just a single fault during maintenance away from dataloss.  but you need multiple simultaneous faults, and have very bad luck to break a 3/2 pool

I would recommend rather using 2/2 pools if you are willing to accept a little downtime when a disk dies.  the cluster io would stop until the disks backfill to cover for the lost disk. but it is better then having inconsistent pg's or dataloss because a disk crashed during a routine reboot, or 2 disks

also worth to read this link https://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg32895.html  ; a good explanation.

you have good backups and are willing to restore the whole pool. And it is of course your privilege to run 2/1 pools but be mind full of the risks of doing so.

kind regards
Ronny Aasen

BTW: i did not know ubuntu automagically rebooted after a upgrade. you can probably avoid that reboot somehow in ubuntu. and do the restarts of services manually. if you wish to maintain service during upgrade