Re: Integrating XEN Server : Long query time for "rbd ls -l" queries

I'd check your latency between your client and your cluster. On my
development machine w/ only a single OSD running and 200 clones, each
with 1 snapshot, "rbd -l" only takes a couple seconds for me:

$ time rbd ls -l --rbd_concurrent_management_ops=1 | wc -l
403

real 0m1.746s
user 0m1.136s
sys 0m0.169s

Also, I have to ask, but how often are you expecting to scrape the
images from pool? The long directory list involves opening each image
in the pool (which involves numerous round-trips to the OSDs) plus
iterating through each snapshot (which also involves round-trips).

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Marc Schöchlin <ms@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Piotr,
>
> i updated the issue.
> (https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/23853?next_issue_id=23852&prev_issue_id=23854)
>
> # time rbd ls -l --pool
> RBD_XenStorage-07449252-bf96-4daa-b0a6-687b7f1c369c
> --rbd_concurrent_management_ops=1
> NAME                                            SIZE PARENT
>
> RBD-feb32ab0-a5ee-44e6-9089-486e91ee8af3      20480M
> RBD_XenStorage-07449252-bf96-4daa-b0a6-687b7f1c369c/RBD-bbbc2ce0-4ad3-44ae-a52f-e57df0441e27@BASE
> 2
> __srlock__
> 0
> 2
> real    0m18.562s
> user    0m12.513s
> sys    0m0.793s
>
> I also attached a json dump of my pool structure.
>
> Regards
> Marc
>
> Am 25.04.2018 um 14:46 schrieb Piotr Dałek:
>> On 18-04-25 02:29 PM, Marc Schöchlin wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> we are trying to integrate a storage repository in xenserver.
>>> (i also describe the problem as a issue in the ceph bugtracker:
>>> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/23853)

>>> The slowness is a real pain for us, because this prevents the xen
>>> storage repository to work efficently.
>>> Gathering information for XEN Pools with hundreds of virtual machines
>>> (using "--format json") would be a real pain...
>>> The high user time consumption and the really huge amount of threads
>>> suggests that there is something really inefficient in the "rbd"
>>> utility.
>>>
>>> So what can i do to make "rbd ls -l" faster or to get comparable
>>> information regarding snapshot hierarchy information?
>>
>> Can you run this command with extra argument
>> "--rbd_concurrent_management_ops=1" and share the timing of that?

Jason