Re: Questions regarding hardware design of an SSD only cluster

On 04/24/2018 05:01 AM, Mohamad Gebai wrote:

> On 04/23/2018 09:24 PM, Christian Balzer wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> If anyone has some ideas/thoughts/pointers, I would be glad to hear them.
>>>
>> RAM, you'll need a lot of it, even more with Bluestore given the current
>> caching.
>> I'd say 1GB per TB storage as usual and 1-2GB extra per OSD.
>
> Does that still stand? I was under the impression that with Bluestore,
> the required RAM is mostly a function of the Bluestore cache size rather
> than raw storage size (we're currently in the process of confirming this).

It is. The amount of storage doesn't matter, but the BlueStore cache is
a per OSD config value indeed. So a 1TB of 4TB won't have a big
difference in the amount of memory it uses in most situations.

Setting the BlueStore cache to a higher value will improve performance
though as RocksDB lookups are faster.

Wido