Re: How much damage have I done to RGW hardcore-wiping a bucket out of its existence?

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Katie Holly <8ld3jg4d@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I found myself in a situation where dynamic sharding and writing data to a bucket containing a little more than 5M objects at the same time caused corruption on the data rendering the entire bucket unusable, I tried several solutions to fix this bucket and ended up ditching it.
>
> What I tried before going the hardcore way:
>
> * radosgw-admin reshard list -> didn't list any reshard process going on at the time, but
> * radosgw-admin reshard cancel --bucket $bucket -> canceled the reshard process going on in the background, overall load on the cluster dropped after a few minutes
>
> At this point I decided to start from scratch since a lot of the data was corrupted due to a broken application version writing to this bucket.
>
> * aws s3 rm --recursive s3://$bucket -> Deleted most files, but 13k files consuming around 500G total weren't deleted, re-running the same command didn't fix that
> * aws s3 rb s3://$bucket -> That obviously didn't work since the bucket isn't empty
> * radosgw-admin bucket rm --bucket $bucket -> "ERROR: could not remove non-empty bucket $bucket" and "ERROR: unable to remove bucket(39) Directory not empty"
> * radosgw-admin bucket rm --bucket $bucket --purge-objects -> "No such file or directory"
>
> After some days of helpless Googling and trying various combinations of radosgw-admin bucket, bi, reshard and other commands that all did pretty much nothing, I did
>
> * rados -p $pool ls | tr '\t' '\n' | fgrep $bucket_marker_id | tr '\n' '\0' | xargs -0 -n 128 -P 32 rados -p $pool rm

Should have probably used "${bucket_marker_id}_" here

> [...]
>
> * radosgw-admin bi purge --bucket=$bucket --yes-i-really-mean-it -> This deleted the bucket index
> * radosgw-admin bucket list -> Bucket still appeared in the list
> * aws s3 ls -> Bucket was still appearing in the list
> * aws s3 rb $bucket -> "NoSuchBucket"
> * aws s3 rm --recursive s3://$bucket -> No error or output
> * aws s3 rb $bucket -> No error
> * aws s3 ls -> Bucket is no longer in the list
>
> At this point, I decided to restart all RGW frontend instances to make sure nothing is being cached. To confirm that it's really gone now, let's check everything...
>
> * aws s3 ls -> Check.
> * radosgw-admin bucket list -> Check.
> * radosgw-admin metadata get bucket:$bucket -> Check.
> * radosgw-admin bucket stats --bucket $bucket -> Check.
> But:
> * radosgw-admin reshard list -> It's doing a reshard, I stopped that for now. However, all RGW frontend instances were logging this repeatedly for some minutes:
>
>> block_while_resharding ERROR: bucket is still resharding, please retry
>> RGWWatcher::handle_error cookie xxx err (107) Transport endpoint is not connected
>> NOTICE: resharding operation on bucket index detected, blocking
>> NOTICE: resharding operation on bucket index detected, blocking
>> block_while_resharding ERROR: bucket is still resharding, please retry
>> block_while_resharding ERROR: bucket is still resharding, please retry
>> NOTICE: resharding operation on bucket index detected, blocking
>> NOTICE: resharding operation on bucket index detected, blocking
>> RGWWatcher::handle_error cookie xxx err (107) Transport endpoint is not connected
>> RGWWatcher::handle_error cookie xxx err (107) Transport endpoint is not connected
>> block_while_resharding ERROR: bucket is still resharding, please retry
>> RGWWatcher::handle_error cookie xxx err (107) Transport endpoint is not connected
>> NOTICE: resharding operation on bucket index detected, blocking
>> block_while_resharding ERROR: bucket is still resharding, please retry
>> NOTICE: resharding operation on bucket index detected, blocking
>
> One of the RGW frontend instances crashed during this, all others seem to be running fine at the moment:
>
>> 2018-04-13 23:19:41.599307 7f35c6e00700  0 ERROR: flush_read_list(): d->client_cb->handle_data() returned -5
>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'ceph::buffer::bad_alloc'
>>   what():  buffer::bad_alloc
>> *** Caught signal (Aborted) **
>>  in thread 7f35f341d700 thread_name:msgr-worker-0
>

> * aws s3 mb s3://$bucket -> This command succeeded
> * aws s3 cp $file s3://$bucket/$file -> This command succeeded as well
>
> My question at this point would be, how much have I damaged this cluster on an RGW pov and is it possible to undo those damages? If I want to proceed with cleaning up the old bucket data, where should I continue and how would I verify that everything, that might further damage the cluster at a later point, is really gone?

I think that unless your grep there found entries on other bucket
instances (due to bucket marker id happen to be a prefix of some other
bucket's marker id) you're probably safe. Not sure about that crash,
if you have logs feel free to share them. It's not clear to me if the
logs above were transient, or whether you still see them. If you still
see them then you'd want to look into the culprit.

Yehuda