From: ? ?? [mailto:yaozongyou@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: donderdag 12 april 2018 4:36
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: *****SPAM*****  osds with different disk sizes may
killing performance

Hi,

For anybody who may be interested, here I share a process of locating
the reason for ceph cluster performance slow down in our environment.

Internally, we have a cluster with capacity 1.1PB, used 800TB, and raw
user data is about 500TB. Each day, 3TB' data is uploaded and 3TB oldest
data is lifecycled (we are using s3 object store, and bucket lifecycle
is enabled). As time goes by, the cluster becomes some slower, we doubt
the xfs fragmentation is the fiend.

After some testing, we do find xfs fragmentation slow down filestore's
performance, for example, at 15% fragmentation, the performance is 85%
of the original, and at 25%, the performance is 74.73% of the original.

But the main reason for our cluster's deterioration of performance is
not the xfs fragmentation.

Initially, our ceph cluster contains only osds with 4TB's disk, as time
goes by, we scale out our cluster by adding some new osds with 8TB's
disk. And as the new disk's capacity is double times of the old disks,
so each new osd's weight is double of the old osd. And new osd has
double pgs than old osd, and new osd used double disk space than the old
osd. Everything looks good and fine.

But even though the new osd has double capacity than the old osd, the
new osd's performance is not double than the old osd. After digging into
our internal system stats, we find the new added's disk io util is about
two times than the old. And from time to time, the new disks' io util
rises up to 100%. The new added osds are the performance killer. They
slow down the whole cluster's performance.

As the reason is found, the solution is very simple. After lower new
added osds's weight, the annoying slow request warnings have died away.

So the conclusion is: in cluster with different osd's disk size, osd's
weight is not only determined by its capacity, we should also have a
look at its performance.

Best wishes,
Yao Zongyou