Re: ceph-fuse CPU and Memory usage vs CephFS kclient

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04/10/2018 09:45 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:

>>> Yes, that directory is rather large.
>>>
>>> I've set max_mds to 1 for now and suddenly both FUSE and the kclient are
>>> a lot after, not 10% but something like 80 to 100% faster.
>>>
>>> It seems like that directory was being balanced between two MDS and that
>>> caused a 'massive' slow down.
>>>
>>> This can probably be influenced by tuning the MDS balancer settings, but
>>> I am not sure yet where to start, any suggestions?
>>
>> Well, you can disable directory fragmentation, but if it's happening
>> automatically that means it's probably necessary. You can also pin the
>> directory to a specific MDS, which will prevent the balancer from
>> moving it or its descendants around. I'd try that; it should have the
>> same impact on the client.
>
> Yes, I understand. But when running with one MDS it goes just fine, when
> running with 2 Active MDS the performance gets a serious hit.
>
> A create() is send to the MDS with rank 0 and a rename() for the same
> file to rank 1.
>
> That causes a massive slowdown where the rename sometimes takes up to 10
> seconds.
>
> So it seems to be something like balancing between the two MDS.

It's more likely that the directory has several fragments, mds0 and
mds1 each manage part of these fragments. For slow "create + rename",
the temp file and target file belong to two different fragments and
these two fragments are managed by different mds. In mutiple active
setup, rename that moves across mds is very slow.  we really should
make mds more smarter in this case.

using 'rsync --inplace' or pin the directory to one mds can solve the issue.

Regards
Yan, Zheng