Re: Bluestore caching, flawed by design?

Christian Balzer writes:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 08:33:35 +0200 John Hearns wrote:
>> Christian, you mention single socket systems for storage servers.
>> I often thought that the Xeon-D would be ideal as a building block for
>> storage servers
>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon/d-processors.html
>> Low power, and a complete System-On-Chip with 10gig Ethernet.
>>
> If you (re)search the ML archives you should be able find discussions
> about this and I seem to remember them coming up as well.

> If you're going to have a typical HDDs for storage and 1-2 SSDs for
> journal/WAL/DB setup, they should do well enough.

We have such systems (QuantaGrid SD1Q-1ULH with Xeon D-1541) and are
generally happy with them.  They are certainly very power-efficient.

> But in that scenario you're likely not all that latency conscious
> about NUMA issues to begin with, given that current CPU interlinks are
> quite decent.

Right.

> They however do feel underpowered when mated with really fast (NVMe) or
> more than 4 SSDs per node if you have a lot of small writes.
[...]

The new Xeon-D 2100 look promising.  I haven't seen any
storage-optimized servers based on this yet, though.
--
Simon.