Re: Bluestore caching, flawed by design?

On 03/31/2018 03:24 PM, Mark Nelson wrote:
>> 1. Completely new users may think that bluestore defaults are fine and
>> waste all that RAM in their machines.
>
> What does "wasting" RAM mean in the context of a node running ceph? Are
> you upset that other applications can't come in and evict bluestore
> onode, OMAP, or object data from cache?

I think he thought of your #1
Unless I am mistaken, with bluestore, you allocate some cache per OSD,
and the OSD won't use more, even if there is free memory laying around
Thus, a "waste" of ram

>> 2. Having a per OSD cache is inefficient compared to a common cache like
>> pagecache, since an OSD that is busier than others would benefit from a
>> shared cache more.
>
> It's only "inefficient" if you assume that using the pagecache, and more
> generally, kernel syscalls, is free.  Yes the pagecache is convenient
> and yes it gives you a lot of flexibility, but you pay for that
> flexibility if you are trying to do anything fast.

I think he thought of your #2
"Inefficient" because each OSDs have a fixed cache size, unrelated to
their real usage

To me, "flawed" is a bit extreme, bluestore is a good piece of work,
even if there is still place for improvements;