Re: Is it possible to suggest the active MDS to move to a datacenter ?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 1:02 PM, Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I manage my 2 datacenters with Pacemaker and Booth. One of them is the
> publicly-known one, thanks to Booth.
> Whatever the "public datacenter", Ceph is a single storage cluster.
> Since most of the cephfs traffic come from this "public datacenter",
> I'd like to suggest or force the active MDS to move to the same
> datacenter, hoping to reduce trafic on the inter-datacenter link, and
> reduce cephfs metadata operations latency.
>
> Is it possible for forcefully move the active MDS using external
> triggers ?

No and it probably wouldn't be beneficial. The MDS still needs to talk
to the metadata/data pools and increasing the latency between the MDS
and the OSDs will probably do more harm.

One possibility for helping your situation is to put NFS-Ganesha in
the public datacenter as a gateway to CephFS. This may help with your
performance by (a) sharing a larger cache among multiple clients and
(b) reducing capability conflicts between clients thereby resulting in
less metadata traffic with the MDS. Be aware an HA solution doesn't
yet exist for NFS-Ganesha+CephFS outside of Openstack Queens
deployments.

--
Patrick Donnelly