Re: Replicated pool with an even size - has min_size to be bigger than half the size?

On 29.03.2018 11:43, Janne Johansson wrote:

>> For example a replicated pool with size 4: Do i always have to set the
>> min_size to 3? Or is there a way to use min_size 2 and use some other
>> node as a decision maker in case of split brain?
>>

> min_size doesn't arbitrate decisions other than
> "can I write if there are only X visible copies?", where X needs to be >
> min_size
> to allow writes.
>
> It doesn't control any logic, it controls the risk level you want to take.

You are right. But with my above example: If I have min_size 2 and size
4, and because of a network issue the 4 OSDs are split into 2 and 2, is
it possible that I have write operations on both sides and therefore
have inconsistent data?

You always write to the primary, which in turn sends copies to the 3 others,
so in the 2+2 split case, only one side can talk to the primary OSD for that pg,
so writes will just happen on one side at most.