Bluestore with CephFS: Recommendations for WAL / DB device for MDS

Dear Cephalopodians,

for our MDS data, we are currently using 4 Bluestore-OSDs with classic SATA SSDs (Replica mode).
In metadata stress testing, this easily becomes the bottleneck.

Also, the existing SSDs are too small (4 x 240 GB, 4 replicas) if the cluster was to become full.

My question is: Is it more reasonable to buy small, but fast NVMe devices for a WAL,
and larger (cheap) SSDs for the KeyValue-store, for example 8 SSDs to also have more OSDs to share the load,
or would this not improve the I/O situation, and we should really buy large and pricey NVMes?

(The main issue with that is that our current servers only have a single free PCIe slot for that,
so scaling that is expensive.)

The answer strongly depends on how much I/O actually goes to WAL and how much goes to the DB.
Is this the same I/O by design, or does the DB device need less actual IOPS (i.e. only throughput) due to the deferred writing?

Anybody with experiences on this?

Cheers and many thanks,
	Oliver