Re: iSCSI Multipath (Load Balancing) vs RBD Exclusive Lock

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Mike Christie <mchristi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/11/2018 08:54 AM, shadow_lin wrote:
> Hi Jason,
> How the old target gateway is blacklisted? Is it a feature of the target
> gateway(which can support active/passive multipath) should provide or is
> it only by rbd excusive lock?
> I think excusive lock only let one client can write to rbd at the same
> time,but another client can obtain the lock later when the lock is released.

For the case where we had the lock and it got taken:

If IO was blocked, then unjammed and it has already passed the target
level checks then the IO will be failed by the OSD due to the
blacklisting. When we get IO errors from ceph indicating we are
blacklisted the tcmu rbd layer will fail the IO indicating the state
change and that the IO can be retried. We will also tell the target
layer rbd does not have the lock anymore and to just stop the iscsi
connection while we clean up the blacklisting, running commands and
update our state.

Mike, can you please give more details on how you tell the target layer rbd does not have the lock and to stop iscsi connection. Which tcmu-runner/kernel-target functions are used for that?

In fact, I performed an experiment with three stale write requests stuck on blacklisted gateway, and one of them managed to overwrite newer data. I followed all instructions from http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/iscsi-target-cli-manual-install/ and http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/iscsi-target-cli/, so I'm interested what I'm missing...

Thanks,
Maxim

Thanks,
Maxim