Re: Ceph iSCSI is a prank?

On 2018-03-02T15:24:29, Joshua Chen <cschen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear all,
>   I wonder how we could support VM systems with ceph storage (block
> device)? my colleagues are waiting for my answer for vmware (vSphere 5) and
> I myself use oVirt (RHEV). the default protocol is iSCSI.

Lean on VMWare to stop being difficult about a native RBD driver. I can
guarantee you all the Ceph vendors are drooling at the bits to get that
done, but ... the VMware licensing terms for their header files, SDKs,
etc aren't exactly Open Source friendly.

iSCSI - yes, it works, but it's a work-around that introduces
significant performance penalties and architectural complexities.

If you are a VMWare customer, let them know you're considering moving
off to OpenStack et al to get Ceph supported better.

Imagine Linus scolding NVidia. Maybe eventually it'll help ;-)

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect SDS, Distinguished Engineer