rbd export(-diff) --whole-object

Hi,

I am looking for information regarding rbd's --whole-object option
According to the doc:
--whole-object
Specifies that the diff should be limited to the extents of a full
object instead of showing intra-object deltas. When the object map
feature is enabled on an image, limiting the diff to the object extents
will dramatically improve performance since the differences can be
computed by examining the in-memory object map instead of querying RADOS
for each object within the image.

Is there any drawback ?
If I use this option when object-map is enabled, is this only benefical ?
What does it do if this feature is disabled ?

Why is `whole-object` an option, and not the default behavior ?

Regards,