Re: rbd mirror mechanics

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Brady Deetz <bdeetz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While preparing a risk assessment for a DR solution involving RBD, I'm
> increasingly unsure of a few things.
>
> 1) Does the failover from primary to secondary cluster occur automatically
> in the case that the primary backing rados pool becomes inaccessible?

There is no automatic failover since any clients to the RBD images
would be at a higher level of integration that librbd would have no
way to know about / interact with (i.e. how would RBD know how to kill
a VM on DC1 and somehow restart the VM in DC2?).

> 1.a) If the primary backing rados pool is unintentionally deleted, can the
> client still failover to the secondary?

Yes, the storage admin can force promote non-primary images on the DR
cluster to primary.

> 2) When an RBD image that is mirrored is deleted from the primary cluster,
> is it automatically deleted from the secondary cluster?

Yes, the deletion is replicated to the DR cluster without delay. The
Mimic release offers a new "rbd mirroring delete delay = <delay in
seconds>" configuration setting to keep a deleted image within the RBD
trash bucket until the delay expires.

> 2.a) If the primary RBD image is unintentionally deleted, can the client
> still failover to the secondary?

Yes, assuming deferred deletion is enabled and you discover the
unintentional deletion prior to the expiration of the deletion delay.

Jason