Re: ceph mgr balancer bad distribution

Hi,

Am 02.03.2018 um 14:29 schrieb Dan van der Ster:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
> <s.priebe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thanks! Your patch works great!
>
> Cool! I plan to add one more feature to allow operators to switch off
> components of the score function. Currently, by only changing the key
> to 'bytes', we aren't able to fully balance things because at some
> point the pgs score gets too suboptimal and the overall score reaches
> a min value.

OK great but it still works perfectly for my clusters. 2%-3% difference
for all OSDs.

>> The only problem I still see is that the
>> balancer kicks in even when the old optimize has not finished. It seems it
>> only evaluated the degraded of value. But while remapping it can happen that
>> none are degraded but a lot are still misplaced.
>>
>> I think the balancer should evaluate the ceph health status as well.
>
> I guess this point is debatable. On our clusters we use max_misplaced
> = 0.01 and set the begin_hour end_hour to daytime hours so that by the
> late evening, every day, the cluster is back to HEALTH_OK.

ah OK. Is it true that the begin_time and end_time is GMT and not local
time? Can we change this as it makes configuration of monitoring systems
impossible - time changes also with summer and winter time.

Greets,
Stefan