Re: Ceph iSCSI is a prank?

Il 02/03/2018 13:27, Federico Lucifredi ha scritto:

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 4:29 AM, Max Cuttins <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Federico,

Hi Max,

On Feb 28, 2018, at 10:06 AM, Max Cuttins <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is true, but having something that just works in order to have minimum compatibility and start to dismiss old disk is something you should think about.
You'll have ages in order to improve and get better performance. But you should allow Users to cut-off old solutions as soon as possible while waiting for a better implementation.
I like your thinking, but I wonder why doesn’t a locally-mounted kRBD volume meet this need? It seems easier than iSCSI and I would venture would show twice the performance at least in some cases.

Simple because it's not possible.
XenServer is closed. You cannot add RPM (so basically install ceph) without hack the distribution by removing the limitation to YUM.
And this is what we do here: https://github.com/rposudnevskiy/RBDSR

Understood. Thanks Max, I did not realize you were also speaking about Xen, I thought you meant to find an arbitrary non-virtual disk  replacement strategy ("start to dismiss old disk").
I need to find an arbitrary non-virtual disk replacement strategy.... compatible with Xen.

We do speak to the Xen team every once in a while, but while there is interest in adding Ceph support on their side, I think we are somewhat down the list of their priorities.

Thanks -F

They are somewhat interested in higher the limitation instead of improving their hypervisor.
Xen 7.3 is exactly Xen 7.2 with new limitations and no added features.
It's a shame.