Re: Ceph iSCSI is a prank?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Max Cuttins <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Il 28/02/2018 15:19, Jason Dillaman ha scritto:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Massimiliano Cuttini <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was building ceph in order to use with iSCSI.
>>> But I just see from the docs that need:
>>>
>>> CentOS 7.5
>>> (which is not available yet, it's still at 7.4)
>>> https://wiki.centos.org/Download
>>>
>>> Kernel 4.17
>>> (which is not available yet, it is still at 4.15.7)
>>> https://www.kernel.org/
>>
>> The necessary kernel changes actually are included as part of 4.16-rc1
>> which is available now. We also offer a pre-built test kernel with the
>> necessary fixes here [1].
>
> This is a release candidate and it's not ready for production.
> Does anybody know when the kernel 4.16 will be ready for production?
>

>>> So I guess, there is no ufficial support and this is just a bad prank.
>>>
>>> Ceph is ready to be used with S3 since many years.
>>> But need the kernel of the next century to works with such an old
>>> technology
>>> like iSCSI.
>>> So sad.
>>
>> Unfortunately, kernel vs userspace have very different development
>> timelines.We have no interest in maintaining out-of-tree patchsets to
>> the kernel.
>

> This is true, but having something that just works in order to have minimum
> compatibility and start to dismiss old disk is something you should think
> about.
> You'll have ages in order to improve and get better performance. But you
> should allow Users to cut-off old solutions as soon as possible while
> waiting for a better implementation.

That's exactly what is included in the kernel changes -- changes
required to stabilize LIO iSCSI with RBD (specifically in a clustered
environment). You have been able to use LIO, TGT, SCST, SPDK, <insert
random acronym of an iSCSI target here> with various levels of
capabilities for a while now. There are plenty of performance changes
that are still required along with additional features like support
for SCSI persistent group reservations. Most important of all,
remember that this is a *free* open source project, so it might be
recommended to set your demands and expectations accordingly.

--
Jason