Re: fast_read in EC pools

Oliver,

Here's the commit info:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/48e40fcde7b19bab98821ab8d604eab920591284

Caspar

Am 27.02.2018 um 14:16 schrieb Caspar Smit:
> Oliver,
>
> Be aware that for k=4,m=2 the min_size will be 5 (k+1), so after a node failure the min_size is already reached.
> Any OSD failure beyond the node failure will probably result in some PG's to be become incomplete (I/O Freeze) until the incomplete PG's data is recovered to another OSD in that node.
>
> So please reconsider your statement "one host + x safety" as the x safety (with I/O freeze) is probably not what you want.
>
> Forcing to run with min_size=4 could also be dangerous for other reasons. (there's a reason why min_size = k+1)

Thanks for pointing this out!
Yes, indeed, in case we need to take down a host for a longer period (we would hope this never has to happen for > 24 hours... but you never know),
and in case disks start to fail, we would indeed have to degrade to min_size=4 to keep running.

What exactly are the implications?
It should still be possible to ensure the data is not corrupt (with the checksums), and recovery to k+1 copies should start automatically once a disk fails -
so what's the actual implication?
Of course pg repair can not work in that case (if a PG for which the additional disk failed is corrupted),
but in general, when there's the need to reinstall a host, we'd try to bring it back with OSD data intact -
which should then allow to postpone the repair until that point.

Is there a danger I miss in my reasoning?

Cheers and many thanks!
        Oliver