Re: erasure coding chunk distribution

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 5:05 AM Dennis Benndorf <dennis.benndorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

at the moment we use ceph with one big rbd pool and size=4 and use a
rule to ensure that 2 copies are in each of our two rooms. This works
great for VMs. But there is some big data which should be stored online
but a bit cheaper. We think about using cephfs for it with erasure
coding and k=4 and m=4. How would the placement of the chunks work, I
mean is the above possible for erasure coding also?

Yes. It's mostly the same procedure as I imagine you used on your replicated pool. Except you'd use "indep" instead of "rep" and you'd be choosing 4 leafs out of each DC instead of 2.
-Greg

In addition, is there anybody out there using cephfs with erasure coding
in big scale (hundreds of TB) and who can tell me something about
his/her experience on stability?

Thanks in advance,
Dennis