Re: Understanding/correcting sudden onslaught of unfound objects

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM Graham Allan <gta@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm replying to myself here, but it's probably worth mentioning that
after this started, I did bring back the failed host, though with "ceph
osd weight 0" to avoid more data movement.

For inconsistent pgs containing unfound objects, the output of "ceph pg
<n> query" does then show the original osd being queried for objects,
and indeed if I dig through the filesystem I find the same 0-byte files
dated from 2015-2016.

This strongly implies to me that data loss occurred a long time in the
past and is not related to the osd host going down - this only triggered
the problem being found.

I would assume that too, but unless you had scrubbing disabled then it should have been discovered long ago; I don’t understand how it could have stayed hidden. Did you change any other settings recently?

Or, what is this EC pool being used for, and what are the EC settings? Having a bunch of empty files is not surprising if the objects are smaller than the chunk/stripe size — then just the primary and the parity locations would actually have data for them.

Graham

--
Graham Allan
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute - gta@xxxxxxx