[Best practise] Adding new data center

Good evening list,

we are soon expanding our data center [0] to a new location [1].

We are mainly offering VPS / VM Hosting, so rbd is our main interest.
We have a low latency 10 Gbit/s link between our other location [2] and
we are wondering, what is the best practise for expanding.

Naturally we think about creating a new ceph cluster that is independent
from the first location, so connection interrupts (unlikely) or
different power outages (more likely) are becoming a concern.

Given that we running two different ceph clusters, we think about rbd
mirroring, so that we can (partially) mirror one side to the other or
vice versa.

However using this approach we lose the possibility to have very big rbd
images (big as in 10ths to 100ds of TBs), as the storage is divided.

My question to the list is, how have you handled this situation so far?

Would you also recommend splitting or have you expanded ceph clusters
over several kilometers of range so far? With what experiences?

I am very curious to hear your answers!

Best,

Nico

[0] https://datacenterlight.ch