Re: consequence of losing WAL/DB device with bluestore?

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 9:37 AM Vladimir Prokofev <v@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello.

In short: what are the consequence of loosing external WAL/DB device(assuming it’s SSD) in bluestore?

In comparison with filestore - we used to have an external SSD for journaling multiple HDD OSDs. Hardware failure of such a device would not be that big of a deal, as we can quickly use xfs_repair to initialize a new journal. You don't have to redeploy OSDs, just provide them with a new journal device, remount XFS, and restart osd process so it can quickly update its state. Healthy state can be restored in a matter of minutes.

That was with filestore.
Now what's the situation with bluestore?

What will happen in different scenarios. like having only WAL on external device, or DB, or both WAL+DB?
I kind of assume that loosing DB means losing OSD, and it has to be redeployed?

I'll let the BlueStore guys speak to this more directly, but I believe you lose the OSD.

However, let's be clear: this is not really a different situation than with FileStore. You *can* with FileStore fix the xfs filesystem and persuade the OSD to start up again by giving it a new journal. But this is a *lie* to the OSD about the state of its data and is very likely to introduce data loss or inconsistencies. You shouldn't do it unless the OSD hosts the only copy of a PG in your cluster.
-Greg

What about WAL? Any specific commands to restore it, similar to xfs_repair?
I didn't find any docs regarding this matter, but maybe I'm doing it badly, so a link to such doc would be great.