Re: Debugging fstrim issues

Hi,
I don't know if this is strictly a Ceph issue, but hoping someone will be able to shed some light.   We have an Openstack environment (Ocata) backed onto a Jewel cluster.
We recently ran into some issues with full OSDs but couldn't work out what was filling up the pools.
It appears that fstrim isn't actually working (or being ignored) within the instances:
[centos@with ~]$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1       8.0G  1.2G  6.9G  14% /

plenty of unused space that can be reclaimed:
running fstrim:
[centos@with ~]$ sudo fstrim -a -v
/: 6.9 GiB (7416942592 bytes) trimmed
however, running the command again:
[centos@with ~]$ sudo fstrim -a -v
/: 6.9 GiB (7416942592 bytes) trimmed

The discard option was enabled following:

Have I missed anything at the Ceph layer to enable this?   Is there anything I can do to see if the request is making it's way through to the Ceph layer?

A few questions spring to mind, first:
1. Did you have all the required settings to get a virtio-scsi device on the guests and so on which seemed to be a hard requirement for it to actually work?
2. Did you test by counting the number of pieces the RBD was split into like in that article? I would assume that the inguest trim would always say "out of 8G
there is 6.9 G that could be trimmed, since 1.1G is used", since trimming will not remove the data visible to the guest filesystem, only affect how much of real
storage on the outside it consumes after trimming.