Re: Ceph Future

Il 22/01/2018 21:55, Jack ha scritto:
On 01/22/2018 08:38 PM, Massimiliano Cuttini wrote:
The web interface is needed because:*cmd-lines are prune to typos.*
And you never misclick, indeed;
Do you really mean: 1) misclick once on an option list, 2) miscklick once on the form, 3) mistype the input and 4) misclick again on the confirmation dialog box?
No... i can brag to never misclick that much in a row! :)
Well if you misclick that much is better don't tell around you are a system engineer ;)

However I think that everybody can have opinion and different opinion.
But reject the evidence is just flaming.

Yeah, well, whatever, most system engineers know how to handle Ceph.
Most non-system engineers do not.
A task, a job, I don't master other's job, hence it feels natural that
others do not master mine.

Sorry if this sound so strange to you.
Oh this doesn't strange to me.

You simple don't see the big picture.
Ceph was born in order to semplify the redundancy.
But what is the reason to build architecture in high availability?
I guess to live in peace while hardware can broke: change a broken disk within some days instead of within some hours (or minute).
This is all made to let us free and to increase our comfort by reducing stressing issues.
Focus on big issues and tuning instead of ordinary issues.

My proposal is EXACTLY in the same direction and I'll explain to you. There are 2 kinds of taks:
- USER taks: create new images, increase images size, sink images size, check daily status and change broken disks whenever is needed.
- SYSTEM taks: install, update, repair, improve, increase pool size, tuning performance (this should be done by command line).

If you think your job is just beeing a slave of Customer care & Sales folks well ...be happy with this.
If you think your job is be the broken disks replacer boy of the office than... be that man.
But don't come to me saying you need to be a system engineers to make these slavery jobs.
I prefer to focus on mantaining and tuning instead of be the puppet of the customer care.

You should try to consider, instead of flaming around, that there are people think differently not because they are just not good enought to do your job but because they see thinks differently.
Create a separation between User task (and move them to a web interface proven for dumbs) and Admins task is just good.
Of course all Admin tasks will always be by command line but Users should not.

I really want to know if you'll flaming back again, or if you finally would try to give me a real answer with a good reason to don't have a web interface in order to get rid of slavery jobs.
But I suppose to know the answer.