Re: Error message in the logs: "meta sync: ERROR: failed to read mdlog info with (2) No such file or directory"

On 01/15/2018 09:57 AM, Victor Flávio wrote:
Hello,

We've have a radosgw cluster(verion 12.2.2) in multisite mode. Our cluster is formed by one master realm, with one master zonegroup and two zones(which one is the master zone).

We've followed the instructions of Ceph documentation to install and configure our cluster.

The cluster works as expected, the objects and users are being replicated between the zones, but we always are getting this error message in our logs:

2018-01-15 12:25:00.119301 7f68868e5700  1 meta sync: ERROR: failed to read mdlog info with (2) No such file or directory

Some details about the errors message(s):
 - They are only printed in the non-master zone log;
 - They are only printed when this "slave" zone try to sync the metadata info;
 - In each synchronization cycle of the metadata info, the number of this errors messages equals to the number of shards of metadata logs;
 - When we run the command "rados-admin mdlogs list", we've got a empty array as output in both zones;
 - The output of "rados-admin sync status" says every is ok and synced, which is true, despite the mdlog error messages in log.

Anyone got this same problem? And how to fix it. I've tried and failed to many times to fix it.

--
Victor Flávio de Oliveira Santos
Fullstack Developer/DevOps

Hi Victor,

We use a hashing strategy to spread metadata over these mdlog shards. It's likely that some shards are empty, especially if there are relatively few buckets/users in the system. These 'No such file or directory' errors are just trying to read from shard objects that haven't ever been written to. Logging them as noisy ERROR messages is certainly misleading, but it's probably nothing to worry about.

Casey