Re: Ceph Future

Hi Massimiliano,

On 01/11/2018 12:15 PM, Massimiliano Cuttini wrote:

> _*3) Management complexity*_
> Ceph is amazing, but is just too big to have everything under control
> (too many services).
> Now there is a management console, but as far as I read this management
> console just show basic data about performance.
> So it doesn't manage at all... it's just a monitor...
>
> In the end You have just to manage everything by your command-line.

[...]

> The management complexity can be completly overcome with a great Web
> Manager.
> A Web Manager, in the end is just a wrapper for Shell Command from the
> CephAdminNode to others.
> If you think about it a wrapper is just tons of time easier to develop
> than what has been already developed.
> I do really see that CEPH is the future of storage. But there is some
> quick-avoidable complexity that need to be reduced.
>
> If there are already some plan for these issue I really would like to know.

FWIW, there is openATTIC, which provides additional functionality beyond
of what the current dashboard provides. It's a web application that
utilizes various existing APIs (e.g. librados, RGW Admin Ops API)

  https://www.openattic.org/features.html

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)