Re: Ceph MGR Influx plugin 12.2.2

Hi Reed,

Someone in our group originally wrote the plugin and put in PR.  Since
our commit the plugin was 'forward-ported' to master and made
incompatible with Luminous so we've been using our own version of the
plugin while waiting for the necessary pieces to be back-ported to
Luminous to use the modified upstream version.  Now we are in the
process of trying out the back-ported version that is in 12.2.2 as
well as adding some additional code from our version that collects pg
summary information (count of active, etc) and supports sending to
multiple influx destinations.  We'll attempt to PR any changes we
make.

So to answer your question:  Yes, we use it but not exactly the
version from upstream in production yet.  However in our testing the
module included with 12.2.2 appears to work as expected and we're
planning to move over to it and do any future work based from the
version in the upstream Ceph tree.

There is one issue/bug that may still exist exist:  because of how the
data point timestamps are written inside a loop through OSD stats the
spread is sometimes wide enough that Grafana doesn't group properly
and you get the appearance of extreme spikes in derivative calculation
of rates.  We ended up modifying our code to calculate timestamps just
outside the loops that create data points and apply it to every point
created in loops through stats.  Of course we'll feed that back
upstream when we get to it and assuming it is still an issue in the
current code.

thanks,
Ben