Re: Proper way of removing osds

Hi,

On 12/21/2017 11:03 AM, Karun Josy wrote:
Hi,

This is how I remove an OSD from cluster

  • Take it out
    ceph osd out osdid

    Wait for the balancing to finish

  • Mark it down
    ceph osd down osdid

    Then Purge it
     ceph osd purge osdid --yes-i-really-mean-it

While purging I can see there is another rebalancing occurring.
Is this the correct way to removes OSDs, or am I doing something wrong ?

The procedure is correct, but not optimal.

The first rebalancing is due to the osd being down; the second rebalancing is due to fact that removing the osd changes the crush weight of the host and thus the base of the overall data distribution.

If you want to skip this, you can set the crush weight of the to-be-removed osd to 0.0, wait for the rebalancing to be finished, and stop and remove the osds afterwards. You can also use smaller steps to reduce the backfill impact if necessary,

Regards,
Burkhard