Re: Calamari ( what a nightmare !!! )

Hi Harry,

On 12/12/2017 02:18 AM, DHD.KOHA wrote:

> After managing to install ceph, with all possible ways that I could
> manage  on 4 nodes, 4 osd and 3 monitors , with ceph-deploy and latter
> with ceph-ansible, I thought to to give a try to install CALAMARI on
> UBUNTU 14.04 ( another separate server being not a node or anything in a
> cluster ).
>
> After all the mess of salt 2014.7.5 and different UBUNTU's since I am
> installing nodes on xenial but CALAMARI on trusty while the calamari
> packages on node come from download.ceph.com and trusty, I ended up
> having a server that refuses to gather anything from anyplace at all.

[SNIP]

> which means obviously that I am doing something WRONG and I have no IDEA
> what is it.
>
> Given the fact that documentation on the matter is very poor to limited,
>
> Is there anybody out-there with some clues or hints that is willing to
> share ?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong - Calamari has simply not been
updated for some time and likely does not work with the latest Ceph
version anymore.

Sorry for all the trouble - the installation process certainly is a big
hurdle to get started, especially with so many moving parts and components.

If you're still willing to give this another try (and you're fine with
using openSUSE as the base OS instead of Ubuntu), I'd like to suggest
giving DeepSea [1] (a Salt-based Ceph deployment and configuration
framework) and openATTIC [2] a try.

We have a quick install guide here:

http://docs.openattic.org/en/latest/install_guides/quick_start_guide.html

It's also possible to set up openATTIC manually and configure it to talk
to an existing Ceph Luminous cluster - but that too requires some manual
steps.

Feel free to get in touch with us if you need help.

Lenz

[1] https://github.com/SUSE/DeepSea
[2] https://openattic.org/