Re: Deterministic naming of LVM volumes (ceph-volume)

Quoting Webert de Souza Lima (webert.boss@xxxxxxxxx):
> Cool
>

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Stefan Kooman <stefan@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So, a "ceph osd ls" should give us a list, and we will pick the smallest
> > available number as the new osd id to use. We will make a check in the
> > (ansible) deployment code to see Ceph will indeed use that number.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gr. Stefan
>
> Take into account that if an ID is available within a gap, it means that it
> might have been used before, so maybe you'll still need to include `ceph
> osd rm $ID` [and/or `ceph auth del osd.$ID`] to make sure that ID will be
> usable.

If we remove OSDs from the cluster for which we will want to re-use the
OSD ID (replacement), we'll not do a "rm" / "auth del" ... as according
to [1] that is equal to "removing the osd" [2]. Instead we will use
"ceph osd destroy osd.$ID", keeping the ID and CRUSH map entry. If we
want to remove the OSD (for whatever reason) and release the ID then we
will use "ceph osd purge* osd.$ID" ... which basically does what you
suggest (ceph auth del osd.$OSD_ID, crush remove osd.$OSD_ID, ceph osd
rm osd.$OSD_ID).

Thanks for the heads up though!

Gr. Stefan

* purge available since luminous