Re: injecting args output misleading

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 6:12 AM, Brady Deetz <bdeetz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a bug where ceph incorrectly reports to the user or
> if this is just a matter of misleading language. Thought I might bring it up
> in any case.
>
> I under stand that "may require restart" is fairly direct in its ambiguity,
> but this probably shouldn't be ambiguous without a good technical reason.
> But, I find "not observed" to be quite misleading. These arg injections are
> very clearly being observed.

Not in 12.2.1, at lease not by the test applied here (which is the
definitive test).

https://github.com/badone/ceph/blob/8ad1a5b642f1c5db3b2d103dc9e64e3c8ad70a27/src/common/config.cc#L682-#L707

I guess "observed" is open to interpretation, but isn't just about everything?

In master "mon_allow_pool_delete" is observed courtesy of this PR and
you no longer see the warning.

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/18125

> Maybe the output should be "not observed by
> 'component x', change may require restart." But, I'd still like a definitive
> yes or no for service restarts required by arg injects.
>
> I've run into this on osd args as well.
>
> Ceph Luminous 12.2.1 (CentOS 7.4.1708)
>
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.mon0.asok
> config show | grep "mon_allow_pool_delete"
>     "mon_allow_pool_delete": "false",
>
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.0 injectargs
> '--mon_allow_pool_delete=true'
> injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'true' (not observed, change may require
> restart)
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.1 injectargs
> '--mon_allow_pool_delete=true'
> injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'true' (not observed, change may require
> restart)
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.2 injectargs
> '--mon_allow_pool_delete=true'
> injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'true' (not observed, change may require
> restart)
>
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.mon0.asok
> config show | grep "mon_allow_pool_delete"
>     "mon_allow_pool_delete": "true",
>
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.0 injectargs
> '--mon_allow_pool_delete=false'
> injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'false' (not observed, change may require
> restart)
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.1 injectargs
> '--mon_allow_pool_delete=false'
> injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'false' (not observed, change may require
> restart)
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.2 injectargs
> '--mon_allow_pool_delete=false'
> injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'false' (not observed, change may require
> restart)
>
> [root@mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.mon0.asok
> config show | grep "mon_allow_pool_delete"
>     "mon_allow_pool_delete": "false",
>
> Thanks for the hard work, devs!

Cheers,
Brad