Re: Ceph - SSD cluster

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:34:51 +0100 Ronny Aasen wrote:

> On 20. nov. 2017 23:06, Christian Balzer wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 15:53:31 +0100 Ansgar Jazdzewski wrote:
> >
> >> Hi *,
> >>
> >> just on note because we hit it, take a look on your discard options
> >> make sure it not run on all OSD at the same time.
> >>
> > Any SSD that actually _requires_ the use of TRIM/DISCARD to maintain
> > either speed or endurance I'd consider unfit for Ceph to boot.
> >

> hello
>
> is there some sort of hardware compatibillity list for this part ?
> perhaps community maintained on the wiki or similar.
>
> there are some older blog posts covering some devices, but hard to find
> ceph related for current devices.

Current devices tend to follow in the footsteps of older ones.

Thus Intel DC S ones tend to be suitable, however their endurance and
performance vary and need to match the expected load.
The 37xx ones can deal with anything you throw at them, the x6xx ones with
3DWPD endurance will do the job for many people, the 35xx ones are
certainly fast enough for many use cases but should only be deployed by
people who know exactly what they're doing and for read-mostly use cases.

The same is true in principal for the Samsung DC level SSDs (SM863a these
days), they certainly perform well enough, sometimes even better than the
Intel DC S36xx to which they are mostly equivalent.
Samsung has a history of "firmware (and bug) of the week" issues, so
diligent testing and a good return/fix/replace policy from your vendor is
always something to make sure off.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Rakuten Communications