ceph-disk should wait for device file /dev/sdXX file to be created before trying to run mkfs

Hi,

    I am using ceph-ansible to deploy ceph to run as a container on VMs running on my laptop. The VMs run CoreOS and the docker image being installed has the tag "tag-build-master-luminous-ubuntu-16.04". The backend is "bluestore".

  While running the "ceph-osd-prepare" stage, the installation fails while trying to create an XFS file system on /dev/sdX1. The issue seems to be that the device file /dev/sdX1is not visible inside the container when this command is run and the file is visible/created with a small delay. I verified that the file did exist shortly after the command failed by looking inside the container and the host.

When creating a OSD node with two data drives, the command sometimes succeeds on one or more of the drives while the other one fails. When run enough times it succeeds on all the drives on that node.

populate_data_path_device: Creating xfs fs on /dev/sdb1
command_check_call: Running command: /sbin/mkfs -t xfs -f -i size=2048 -- /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1: No such file or directory

It looks like ceph-disk should wait for the device file to exists before running populate_data_path_device. Does this seem correct or am I hitting some other issue?

Thanks
Chandra