Re: Snapshot space

No -- it means that your clone had written approximately 10GB of space
within the image before you created the first snapshot. If the
"fast-diff" feature is enabled, note that it only calculates usage in
object size chunks (defaults to 4MB) -- which means that even writing
1 byte to a 4MB object would flag the object as dirty (it's an
upper-bound estimate).

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Josy <josy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that when we create a snapshot of a clone, the first snapshot
> seems to be quite large.
>
> For example:
>
> Clone VM is taking up 136MBs according to rbd du
> First snapshot: 10GBs
> Second snapshot: 104MBs
> Third snapshot: 57MBs
>
> The clone is a Windows virtual machine, which does take around 10GB if it
> wasn't a clone. Does this mean that the first snapshot of a clone needs to
> have a full copy of the original cloned image?
>
> Ceph version : Luminous 12.2.1

Jason