Re: what does associating ceph pool to application do?

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Chad William Seys
<cwseys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Scrolled down a bit and found this blog post:
> https://ceph.com/community/new-luminous-pool-tags/
>
> If things haven't changed:
>
>>    Could someone tell me / link to what associating a ceph pool to an
>> application does?
>

> ATM it's a tag and does nothing to the pool/PG/etc structure
>
>>    I hope this info includes why "Disabling an application within a pool
>> might result in loss of application functionality" when running 'ceph osd
>> application disable <pool> <apptype>'
>

> A stern warning to ignore.

Just to stern this up a bit...

In the future, you may find that things stop working if you remove the
application tags.

For example, in Mimic, application tags will be involved in
authentication for CephFS, and if you removed the cephfs tags from
your data pool, your clients would stop being able to access it.

Cheers,
John