Re: Ceph cache pool full

Hello,

On Fri, 06 Oct 2017 03:30:41 +0000 David Turner wrote:

> You're missing most all of the important bits. What the osds in your
> cluster look like, your tree, and your cache pool settings.
>
> ceph df
> ceph osd df
> ceph osd tree
> ceph osd pool get cephfs_cache all

Especially the last one.

My money is on not having set target_max_objects and target_max_bytes to
sensible values along with the ratios.
In short, not having read the (albeit spotty) documentation.

> You have your writeback cache on 3 nvme drives. It looks like you have
> 1.6TB available between them for the cache. I don't know the behavior of a
> writeback cache tier on cephfs for large files, but I would guess that it
> can only hold full files and not flush partial files.

I VERY much doubt that, if so it would be a massive flaw.
One assumes that cache operations work on the RADOS object level, no
matter what.

> That would mean your
> cache needs to have enough space for any file being written to the cluster.
> In this case a 1.3TB file with 3x replication would require 3.9TB (more
> than double what you have available) of available space in your writeback
> cache.
>
> There are very few use cases that benefit from a cache tier. The docs for
> Luminous warn as much.
You keep repeating that like a broken record.

And while certainly not false I for one wouldn't be able to use (justify
using) Ceph w/o cache tiers in our main use case.

In this case I assume they were following and old cheat sheet or such,
suggesting the previously required cache tier with EC pools.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Rakuten Communications