erasure-coded with overwrites versus erasure-coded with cache tiering

Hi all,
Now that Luminous supports direct writing to EC pools I was wondering if one can get more performance out of an erasure-coded pool with overwrites or an erasure-coded pool with a cache tier? I currently have a 3 replica pool in front of a k2m2 erasure coded pool. Luminous documentation on cache tiering http://docs.ceph.com/docs/luminous/rados/operations/cache-tiering/#a-word-of-caution makes it sound like cache tiering is usually not recommonded.

Thanks!
Chad.