Re: Large amount of files - cephfs?

On 17-09-27 14:57, Josef Zelenka wrote:
Hi,

we are currently working on a ceph solution for one of our customers. They run a file hosting and they need to store approximately 100 million of pictures(thumbnails). Their current code works with FTP, that they use as a storage. We thought that we could use cephfs for this, but i am not sure how it would behave with that many files, how would the performance be affected etc. Is cephfs useable in this scenario, or would radosgw+swift be better(they'd likely have to rewrite some of the code, so we'd prefer not to do this)? We already have some experience with cephfs for storing bigger files, streaming etc so i'm not completely new to this, but i thought it'd be better to ask more experiened users. Some advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks,

Josef

Depending on your OSD count, you should be able to put 100mil of files there. As others mentioned, depending on your workload, metadata may be a bottleneck.

If metadata is not a concern, then you just need to have enough OSDs to distribute RADOS objects. You should be fine with few millions objects per OSDs, going with tens of millions per OSD may be more problematic as you have larger memory usage, OSDs are slower, backfill/recovery is slow.