Re: Large amount of files - cephfs?

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Josef Zelenka
<josef.zelenka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are currently working on a ceph solution for one of our customers. They
> run a file hosting and they need to store approximately 100 million of
> pictures(thumbnails). Their current code works with FTP, that they use as a
> storage. We thought that we could use cephfs for this, but i am not sure how
> it would behave with that many files, how would the performance be affected
> etc. Is cephfs useable in this scenario, or would radosgw+swift be
> better(they'd likely have to rewrite some of the code, so we'd prefer not to
> do this)? We already have some experience with cephfs for storing bigger
> files, streaming etc so i'm not completely new to this, but i thought it'd
> be better to ask more experiened users. Some advice on this would be greatly
> appreciated, thanks,

CephFS can certainly handle huge numbers of files.  The level of
satisfaction tends to depend on what kind of metadata IO is going on
-- while we can hold many many millions of files without breaking a
sweat, that doesn't mean that doing things like deleting a million
files at once is going to be super-quick.  If the image workload is
mainly a relatively slow stream of creates with a relatively heavy
stream of reads (typical) then you should be alright.

Sometimes there are pathological applications that want to e.g. wipe
10 million files and copy them all back every night, and those are the
situations where you might find that the rate of creates/deletes in
CephFS can be bottleneck.

As you've pointed out, a big flat collection of uniquely named items
like thumbnails is a classic object storage application.  The
experience you have may depend on the access pattern: a CephFS mount
with a big client side cache might do better than fetching from RGW if
there's a mainly-read workload with a lot of temporal locality.

John