Re: librmb: Mail storage on RADOS with Dovecot

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:40 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A tracker issue has been out there for a while: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/12430
>
> Storing e-mail in RADOS with Dovecot, the IMAP/POP3/LDA server with a huge marketshare.
>
> It took a while, but last year Deutsche Telekom took on the heavy work and started a project to develop librmb: LibRadosMailBox
>
> Together with Deutsche Telekom and Tallence GmbH (DE) this project came to life.
>
> First, the Github link: https://github.com/ceph-dovecot/dovecot-ceph-plugin
>
> I am not going to repeat everything which is on Github, put a short summary:
>
> - CephFS is used for storing Mailbox Indexes
> - E-Mails are stored directly as RADOS objects
> - It's a Dovecot plugin
>
> We would like everybody to test librmb and report back issues on Github so that further development can be done.
>
> It's not finalized yet, but all the help is welcome to make librmb the best solution for storing your e-mails on Ceph with Dovecot.
>
> Danny Al-Gaaf has written a small blogpost about it and a presentation:
>
> - https://dalgaaf.github.io/CephMeetUpBerlin20170918-librmb/
> - http://blog.bisect.de/2017/09/ceph-meetup-berlin-followup-librmb.html
>
> To get a idea of the scale: 4,7PB of RAW storage over 1.200 OSDs is the final goal (last slide in presentation). That will provide roughly 1,2PB of usable storage capacity for storing e-mail, a lot of e-mail.
>
> To see this project finally go into the Open Source world excites me a lot :-)
>
> A very, very big thanks to Deutsche Telekom for funding this awesome project!
>
> A big thanks as well to Tallence as they did an awesome job in developing librmb in such a short time.

This is super cool! Is there anything written down that explains this
for Ceph developers who aren't familiar with the workings of Dovecot?
I've got some questions I see going through it, but they may be very
dumb.

*) Why are indexes going on CephFS? Is this just about wanting a local
cache, or about the existing Dovecot implementations, or something
else? Almost seems like you could just store the whole thing in a
CephFS filesystem if that's safe. ;)

*) It looks like each email is getting its own object in RADOS, and I
assume those are small messages, which leads me to

  *) is it really cost-acceptable to not use EC pools on email data?

  *) isn't per-object metadata overhead a big cost compared to the
actual stored data?

-Greg