Re: Power outages!!! help!

On 20.09.2017 16:49, hjcho616 wrote:
Anyone?  Can this page be saved?  If not what are my options?

Regards,
Hong

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 1:55 AM, hjcho616 <hjcho616@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Looking better... working on scrubbing..
HEALTH_ERR 1 pgs are stuck inactive for more than 300 seconds; 1 pgs incomplete; 12 pgs inconsistent; 2 pgs repair; 1 pgs stuck inactive; 1 pgs stuck unclean; 109 scrub errors; too few PGs per OSD (29 < min 30); mds rank 0 has failed; mds cluster is degraded; noout flag(s) set; no legacy OSD present but 'sortbitwise' flag is not set

Now PG1.28.. looking at all old osds dead or alive.  Only one with DIR_* directory is in osd.4.   This appears to be metadata pool!  21M of metadata can be quite a bit of stuff.. so I would like to rescue this!  But I am not able to start this OSD.  exporting through ceph-objectstore-tool appears to crash.  Even with --skip-journal-replay and --skip-mount-omap (different failure).  As I mentioned in earlier email, that exception thrown message is bogus...
# ceph-objectstore-tool --op export --pgid 1.28  --data-path /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-4 --journal-path /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-4/journal --file ~/1.28.export
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::domain_error'

[SNIP]
What can I do to save that PG1.28?  Please let me know if you need more information.  So close!... =)

Regards,
Hong

12 inconsistent and 109 scrub errors is something you should fix first of all.

also you can consider using the paid-services of many ceph support companies. that specialize in these kind of situations.

--

that beeing said, here are some suggestions...

when it comes to lost object recovery you have come about as far as i have ever experienced. so everything after here is just assumptions and wild guesswork to what you can try.  I hope others shouts out if i tell you wildly wrong things.

if you have found date pg1.28 from the broken osd and have checked all other working and nonworking drives, for that pg. then you need to try and extract the pg from the broken drive. As always in recovery cases, take a dd clone of the drive and work from the cloned image. to avoid more damage to the drive, and to allow you to try multiple times.

you should add a temporary injection drive large enough for that pg, and set its crush weight to 0 so it always drains. make sure it is up and registered properly in ceph.

the idea is to copy the pg manually from broken-osd to the injection drive, since the export/import fails.. making sure you get all xattrs included.  one can either copy the whole pg, or just the "missing" objects.  if there are few objects i would go for that, if there are many i would take the whole pg. you wont get data from leveldb. so i am not at all sure this would work. but worth a shot.

- stop your injection osd, verify it is down and the proccess not running.
- from the mountpoint of your broken-osd go into the current directory. and tar up the pg1.28 make sure you use -p and --xattrs when you create the archive.
- if tar errors out on unreadable files, just rm those (since you are working on a copy of your rescue image, you can allways try again)
- copy the tar file to the injection drive and extract while sitting in the current directory (remember --xattrs)
- set debug options on the injection drive in ceph.conf
- start the injection drive, and follow along in the log file. hopefully it should scan, locate the pg, and replicate the pg1.28 objects off to the current primary drive for pg1.28. and since it have crush weight 0 it should drain out.
- if that works, verify the injection drive is drained, stop it and remove it from ceph.  zap the drive.

this is all as i said guesstimates so your mileage may vary
good luck

Ronny Aasen