Re: What HBA to choose? To expand or not to expand?

> Op 19 september 2017 om 13:34 schreef Kees Meijs <kees@xxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hi list,
>
> It's probably something to discuss over coffee in Ede tomorrow but I'll
> ask anyway: what HBA is best suitable for Ceph nowadays?

I still prefer LSI (Avago) in most systems. A 8-port or 16-port controller and a bunch of disks connected to them.

> In an earlier thread I read some comments about some "dumb" HBAs running
> in IT mode but still being able to use cache on the HBA. Does it make
> sense? Or, is this dangerous similar to RAID solutions* without BBU?

I wouldn't trust a HBA with any of my data in cache, black boxes without me knowing what happens there.

My preference is to put them in IT mode and that's it.

Wido