access ceph filesystem at storage level and not via ethernet

Hi,

Novice question here:

The way I understand CEPH is that it distributes data in OSDs in a cluster. The reads and writes come across the ethernet as RBD requests and the actual data IO then also goes across the ethernet.

I have a CEPH environment being setup on a fiber channel disk array (via an openstack fuel deploy). The servers using the CEPH storage also have access to the same fiber channel disk array.

From what I understand those servers would need to make the RDB requests and do the IO across ethernet, is that correct? Even though with this infrastructure setup there is a “shorter” and faster path to those disks, via the fiber channel.

Is there a way to access storage on a CEPH cluster when one has this “better” access to the disks in the cluster? (how about if it were to be only a single OSD with replication set to 1)

Sorry if this question is crazy…

thanks