Re: RBD: How many snapshots is too many?

On 2017-09-08 06:06 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Mclean, Patrick <Patrick.Mclean@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On a related note, we are very curious why the snapshot id is
>> incremented when a snapshot is deleted, this creates lots
>> phantom entries in the deleted snapshots set. Interleaved
>> deletions and creations will cause massive fragmentation in
>> the interval set. The only reason we can come up for this
>> is to track if anything changed, but I suspect a different
>> value that doesn't inject entries in to the interval set might
>> be better for this purpose.
> Yes, it's because having a sequence number tied in with the snapshots
> is convenient for doing comparisons. Those aren't leaked snapids that
> will make holes; when we increment the snapid to delete something we
> also stick it in the removed_snaps set. (I suppose if you alternate
> deleting a snapshot with adding one that does increase the size until
> you delete those snapshots; hrmmm. Another thing to avoid doing I
> guess.)

Fair enough, though it seems like these limitations of the
snapshot system should be documented. We most likely would
have used a completely different strategy if it was documented
that certain snapshot creation and removal patterns could
cause the cluster to fall over over time.

>>> It might really just be the osdmap update processing -- that would
>>> make me happy as it's a much easier problem to resolve. But I'm also
>>> surprised it's *that* expensive, even at the scales you've described.
>> That would be nice, but unfortunately all the data is pointing
>> to PGPool::Update(),
> Yes, that's the OSDMap update processing I referred to. This is good
> in terms of our ability to remove it without changing client
> interfaces and things.

That is good to hear, hopefully this stuff can be improved soon
then.